Sunday, February 20, 2011

A little savory and a little sweet.

Today I had to show off my chicken and noodles.  I started out with every intention of making chicken pot pie, but realized halfway through that I didn't have all the ingredients that I needed to make it.  Haven't we all done that?  I had slow cooked two chickens overnight in the crock pot with lots of good seasonings.

I then shredded the chicken, and added it to noodles, along with peas, carrots, celery, and onion that I had sauteed before hand.  I also used lots of seasoning and chicken bullion for good hearty flavor.

For dinner we had a little something sweet, but pretty low calorie.  It's a very simple dish, but I find it delicious.  Depending on your mood, you can make it whatever flavor that you want.  It's jello cake.  Now, when I worked at the nursing home, jello cake was a cake with holes poked in it and then jello poured over it and set. 

That's not my version of jello cake.  This cake was something that my Grandma K and I absolutely LOVED the stuff.  Surprising, my family loves it too.  I can make one and it will be gone within a couple of days.  Jello cake around here is to make an angel food cake, let it cool, and then you rip it into a million pieces.  Then, you choose a kind of jello that you want.  Make it, and then you pour it over the ripped up cake pieces.  Make sure that everything is soaked, and stick it in the fridge until set.  Add a small dollop of sugar free whipped topping, and it's a bowlful of joy!  I've made it in just about every flavor of jello known to man.  I usually always also use sugar free jello.  It's a treat that I don't have to feel guilty about.  :)

2 comments:

  1. My step mom makes a great jell-o cake, but I am drooling over your chicken and noodles! YUM! Thanks so much for sharing your link with me on Facebook!

    -Jamie
    My Baking Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, Thank you! I am honored that you checked out my site! Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete