Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Special times

Tomorrow, my mother in law and father in law will be celebrating another anniversary.  Since they produced such a gift for me (my husband) I wanted to cook them up a little something to celebrate their day with.  Plus, it's always nice to be cooked for. 

I am putting together a chicken pot pie from scratch that I know they love.  I slowly bake chicken on the bone in the oven, and then put together the filling and put it inside a double homemade crust. 


Tonight though, I went ahead and made the cake.  Now, my in laws aren't fancy people.  They are very simple, rooted people.  It doesn't take much to make them happy, and overly fancy just annoys them.  So it's best to be down home.

One of my favorite recipes is this chocolate cake.  My mother in law makes a chocolate sheet cake that is divine, but I didn't want to make something that she already makes.  That being said, my father in laws favorite dessert is chocolate cake, so I HAD to make a cake.  So, a few years ago, I developed a recipe based on my childhood.  It's a coke cake.  When I brought this up in my classroom, students gagged! 

I don't think that there is a more moist cake in this world.  There are MANY variations of this recipe.  You can use Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, or I imagine just about any cola product.  There's even a variation of this known as the mayonnaise cake.

This cake is best when it's thin.  So, I take a single batch and pour it into my biggest sheet pan.  It takes about 15 minutes to bake, and as it starts to cool, I mix up the icing, which also includes soda.  It's pure moist chocolate sin, but not TOO rich.  It's just right. 

The secret?  After that icing is made, while the cake is still warm, start spreading it on.  Now, you will have to use a delicate touch, because it will tear the cake to pieces if you don't.  It slowly melts into the cake, and by the time you slice it up the next day....... You WILL have a hard time walking away from it.  Mmmmm.

It doesn't look like much.  It's not fancy, and it isn't decorated.  But the flavor that bursts into your mouth when you sink your teeth into it makes you forget the plain look.   Save room for tomorrow though, as I will be making Coconut Bon Bons as a gift for them both to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment